Scottish delft plate decorated in blue and covered with a bluish tin glaze. The wide rim has a band in a highly stylized pattern with amoeba/bean-shaped scrolls, oblong flower heads with projecting irregular lines, and many dots. The pattern is repeated in the large circle in the center well. The rim edge is outlined in brown-red. Fragments with this pattern have been found at several sites at Colonial Williamsburg and around the Delftfield Factory (active 1748-1823). Delftfield Pottery was founded in Glasgow in 1748 with the express purpose of selling tin-glazed earthenware to the Caribbean Islands and American colonies. The pottery was located on eight acres in the Broomielaw, near the River Clyde. After initial technical problems, the factory became extremely productive. In 1771, the pottery exported 2,600 pieces of delftware to Philadelphia; 12,828 to Virginia; and 19,000 pieces of delft and stoneware to Maryland. The pottery's principal shareholders, brothers Lawrence (1696-1764) and Robert Dinwiddie (1693-1770), were already involved in the tobacco trade and other shipping ventures. Lawrence, the more active member of the firm, lived in Glasgow; Robert resided in London until 1751 when he moved to Williamsburg, to serve as Lieutenant Governor of Virginia for the next six years. In addition to delftware, Delftfield Pottery produced salt-glazed stoneware, creamware, and pearlware.
Link to share this object record: