One of a pair of side chairs (see 1978) in cherry with an over-the rail upholstered seat edged with brass tack and pine corner blacks, which is attributed to Eliphalet Chapin (1741-1807). Chairs with this distinctive gothic crossed back are attributed to the cabinetshop of Eliphalet Chapin and his cousin and partner, Aaron Chapin. Eliphalet Chapin trained in Connecticut and worked as a jouneyman for four years in Philadelphia from approximately 1766-1770. There, Chapin learned design and construction features which he brought back to Connecticut. These elements include the use of thru-tenons and two-piece vertical corner blocks on chairs with slip seats. The chair has a carved serpentine crest rail with a center shell; over a pierced Gothic splat with a quatrefoil, diamond, and carved "X" motif; over a trapezoidal seat and molded rails; and front cabriole legs ending in ball and claw feet and plain, shaped back legs.
Link to share this object record: